November 12, 2015

A little bit of closure

I wrote my last post just about a month ago from the Bering Sea, and I thought it’d be nice to write a final post about the cruise, now that I am finally getting settled back in Miami.


The Healy, back at the Coast Guard base in Seattle on November 3rd.    
After spending only a week and a half in Miami following our return from the cruise, on November 1st, Ryan and I flew across the country to offload the Healy at Seattle’s Coast Guard base. On the following day, the Coast Guard craned all of the vans off the ship, including our beloved carbon van, which made us a little sad when we didn’t see it on the morning of the 3rd. We had previously emptied out and cleaned the carbon van in Dutch Harbor, having moved all of our equipment to the cargo hold, which made offloading the Healy in Seattle much smoother.

The nearly empty science cargo hold on November 3rd. 
On Tuesday the 3rd, the Coast Guard craned all science equipment onto the dock, where we organized our things into a variety of containers for shipping back to our home institutes. Other than a little bit of rain that morning, we had great weather for packing on the dock, and we managed to have everything picked up and shipped by the end of the following day. I was definitely relieved when my coolers of frozen seawater were dropped off at the local FedEx, which arrived in Miami on the morning of the 5th, where they will remain frozen until early 2016 when analysis will begin.

View of the loading dock and all of our equipment, ready to be picked up on the 4th. The Oceanographic Data Facility’s (ODF's) equipment is being loaded into the semi, en route to La Jolla, CA.
Overall, it was a great week in Seattle, but I’m glad to be back at home in Miami, where I’ve been enjoying Cuban coffees while working on my dissertation, in addition to reconnecting with my Rosenstiel family and friends. My next Arctic goal, following this post, is to put my cruise photos online, which I’ll be posting a link to once they’re ready. For the time being, you can check out some of Bill Schmoker’s great PolarTREC videos, or check out the recently updated Arctic News page.

View of my institute, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science on Virginia Key, with the City of Miami in the background.

If you’ve enjoyed this blog and would like to continue learning about the life and science behind being an oceanographer and graduate student, let me know. Perhaps it’s time that “Arctic Andy” becomes “Ocean Andy” so I can share all aspects of ocean science with you, without being limited to the Arctic. Let me know what you’re interested in by taking this quick (only one question!) survey.

For the time being,
—AA